Jo SouthwellAward winning writer / director
Jo was born in Northampton and holds a PGCE in Secondary Education, BA Hons in Theology & Media and a Post Graduate Diploma in Screen Acting. She is of Irish parents and has spent much of her childhood in Tipperary.
An award-winning director of Irish decent, noted for her ability to cast, create drama, evoke emotion and pace a script to screen, Jo was selected by Directors UK as a mentee to Jon East on KILLING EVE (BBC America) a rare opportunity that has allowed her to develop her own unique style for TV and film directing, a style that is attracting much attention and seeing her work being acknowledged by the likes of BBC and high profile cast such as Fiona Shaw.
Represented by Pauline Asper, Jo established herself as award winning and versatile with titles such as DEIRDRE, COVER ME, THE GUNMAN, PORTALIS and ENTRANCE NO EXIT.
Berlin Film Festival 2018
Berlin Film Festival 2019
In January 2019, Jo was selected as a finalist in the “That Film Festival” comeptition. After a year long run of selecting directors, Jo and six others were set a final challenge. In under three weeks, Jo had to shoot a script she was sent to be screened at the festival Awards.
This event was supported by Carnaby International and The Agency.
INDEPENDENT FILM MAKERJo has gained experience on both sides of the camera in the belief that a knowledge of the industry as a whole will established good foundations for future success.
2018 : Attached to a new TV Series.
2017 : Shadow director on Killing Eve with Jon East.
2017 : #BAFTAsLucky225
2016 : Deirdre Productions Ltd is registered for EIS.
All interested investors please get in touch for more information.
2016 : Jo was selected by BAFTA GURU PRO as a talented Film Director.
2015 : Jo was selected by Creative England as a Talented Director / Writer in their SW Module.
Over the last 3 years, Jo has been a film judge on several festivals within the UK.
Jo is the founder and Artistic Director of The Henley Fringe and Film Festival.
- BEST FEMALE DIRECTOR : Entrance No Exit (2018)
- BEST SHORT : Fingal Film Festival (2016, Deirdre)
- BEST DRAMA : HIMPFF (2016, Deirdre)
- Best Director – Mumbai International Film Festival (COVER ME)
- Best Actress – GEFF, LA (COVER ME)
- Best Soundtrack – GEFF, LA (COVER ME)
- Nominee : Best Director Thurrock International Film Festival (September 2013) (HOLDING ON)
- Nominee : Best Fiction Thurrock International Film Festival (September 2013) (HOLDING ON)
- Nominee: Best Short Film at St Albans Film Festival (March 2013) (HOLDING ON)